Thirteen people died and more than 100 were injured when a van was driven into crowds in the popular tourist area of Las Ramblas on Thursday night. These are the confirmed victims of the Barcelona attack:
- Ian Moore Wilson
The 52-year-old Canadian’s death was confirmed in a statement by his daughter, Fiona Wilson, a police officer in Vancouver.
In the statement, released on the Vancouver police department’s website, Ms Wilson wrote: “My dad, Ian Moore Wilson, was a much-loved husband, father, brother, and grandfather, who lived a healthy, active life alongside his partner of 53 years, my mum, Valerie.
“He was compassionate, generous, adventurous, and always game for a lively debate, a good book, exploring new places, and a proper-sized pint.
“My dad’s passing leaves an immense void in our tight-knit family. He was desperately loved by us all and will be dearly missed.”
- Jared Tucker, 42
Jared Tucker and his wife Heidi Nunes had travelled to Europe from California to celebrate their first wedding anniversary.
While walking down Las Ramblas, Ms Nunes went to look at a jewellery kiosk, while her husband said he was heading to a bathroom.
“Next thing I know there’s screaming, yelling,” Ms Nunes, a 40-year-old teacher, told NBC News. “I got pushed inside the souvenir kiosk and stayed there hiding while everybody kept running by screaming.”
After trying to find her 42-year-old husband following the attack, Ms Nunes has now confirmed he was killed.
- Bruno Gulotta, 35
Mr Gulotta was walking with his wife and two young children Alexander, five, and baby Aria, when he was mown down on Thursday night, said his colleagues.
His seven-month-old daughter “will never know her dad” they said in a tribute that praised his kindness and described him as a “generous and heartfelt person”.
Mr Gulotta had been walking hand-in-hand with his son at the time of the attack, according to Italian media reports.
His wife reportedly managed to pull the child out of the van’s path, with none of the rest of the family thought to have suffered any significant injury.
- Luca Russo, 25
Another Italian victim, Luca Russo, died next to his fiancee after they were caught up in the attack.
The 25-year-old engineering graduate and his partner Marta Scomazzon were on holiday in Barcelona when he was struck by the van.
Italian officials confirmed Mr Russo’s death to the Republica newspaper, while his fiancee is reported to have received relatively minor injuries.
Friends have been paying tribute to Mr Russo on his Facebook page.
Italy’s prime minster also remembered both Mr Luca and Mr Gulotta in a Twitter post that said “Freedom will win over the barbarity of terrorism”.
- Francisco López Rodríguez
Spaniard Francisco López Rodríguez, thought to be aged 57, was confirmed as among the dead by his niece.
Raquel Baron Lopez had been desperately appealing for news as she searched hospitals.
She later posted a message saying her uncle had been hit by the van and died.
- Elke Vanbockrijck, 44
Belgian officials identified Belgian Elke Vanbockrijck as one of the dead.
The 44-year-old mother was on holiday in Barcelona with her husband and two sons, aged 11 and 14, according to Belgian media.
She was from the eastern city of Tongeren, whose mayor Patrick Dewael, posted a tweet sending his condolences to her family and friends.
Please help our independent journalism by spreading this article! Share!