The British authorities have said Zakaria Bulhan – the 19-year-old Norwegian man of Somali descent arrested on suspicion of murdering American tourist Darlene Horton (pictured above) in London on Wednesday night and stabbing five others – does not necessarily have any links to Islamic terrorism.
Update: An exhaustive search of UK records by Heat Street shows there appears to be only one person in the whole of Britain with the name Zakaria Bulhan. He is registered as living at an address in Tooting, South London.
It is a near-certainty that this is the same person arrested by police and said to have “no links” to terrorism, but merely to be mentally ill.
Between January 2014 and September 2015, Zakaria Bulhan flagged up on Good Reads three books on Islam and Islamist theology as texts they intended to read.
The most interesting, and the one that shows that at the age of 17 this person was at the very least exploring a book which is very clear on urging violent jihadism as a duty of Muslims, is Riyad-us-Saliheen, a 13th century text.
It is a text widely read by devout Muslims which is discussed at a counter-jihad website called Counter Jihad Report:
According to the site, this is what Riyad-us-Saliheen has to say about jihad (emphasis added):
- The Hadith points out the superiority of fighting in the way of Allah. The moment one fights for Allah’s sake, be it in the early morning or the evening, is better than the world and all that is in it. Chapter 234:1287-1288
It [Haddith] brings into focus the excellence of fighting Jihad with one’s wealth and life for the sake of Allah. Chapter 234:1289
- This Hadith highlights the excellence of observing Ribat [guarding the Islamic frontier for the sake of Allah] and fighting in the way of Allah. It also highlights the insignificance of this world and the great reward in the Hereafter which can be attained through Jihad. Chapter 234:1290
- The example cited here [in this Haddith] means that so long a Mujahid is engaged in Jihad, he is like a person who keeps himself occupied in Salat [prayer] at night and observes Saum [fasting] in the day time. The action of such a person can be equal in reward to the conduct of a Mujahid. Thus, in special situations Jihad is the most meritorious act. A worshipper cannot attain that reward for his worship which a Mujahid achieves in Jihad. Chapter 234:1298
- This Hadith also stresses the fact that if a person is unable to take part in Jihad due to illness, for example, he should then provide such material to a Mujahid which is helpful for him in Jihad. If he does so, he will be eligible to the same reward which is due on Jihad. This would also be a source of increase and growth in his possessions. Chapter 234:1308
- Jannat-ul-Firdaus is the highest portion of Jannah [Paradise]. The allocation of this portion [of Paradise] to the martyrs is a proof that Jihad is very much liked by Allah. Chapter 234:1319
- What this Hadith really means is that when the situation calls for Jihad then the foremost priority of a Muslim should be Jihad. In such an event his passion for touring the world should yield to the spirit of Jihad against the infidels and then he must with his full force fight against the enemy. Chapter 234:1345
- This Hadith means that one who neither takes part in Jihad nor provides arms to a Mujahid nor looks after the families of the Mujahidun during their absence, is guilty of crimes for which he is punished in this world by Allah. It is, therefore, the duty of the Muslim Ummah [community] that it should in no way neglect the obligation of Jihad and all its requirements; otherwise it will suffer punishment in this world and in the next. Chapter 234:1348
- This Hadith mentions three categories of Jihad, namely Jihad with wealth, Jihad with one’s life and Jihad by speech. One should make Jihad as is warranted by the situation one is confronted with. That is, where a Muslim is required to sacrifice his life, he must sacrifice his life; where he is required to sacrifice his wealth, he should spend wealth; and where he is required to make Jihad by means of his speech, he should do it by speech. One should not hesitate to spend for the sake of Allah what is required by the situation. Chapter 234:1349
- The Ahadith mentioned in this chapter make the importance of Jihad and the reason for so much stress on it abundantly clear. These also show how great a crime it is to ignore it. It is very unfortunate indeed that present-day Muslims are guilty of renouncing Jihad in every part of the world. May Allah help us to overcome this negligence. Chapter 234:1352
Share or comment on this article